Know How Enterprise Content Management Works
ECM (Enterprise Content Management) is technology which is utilized for capturing, managing, storing, preserving, and delivering content and documents associated with the organizational procedures.
The main objective of ECM is reducing ad hoc procedures which can expose a company to the governing compliance risks as well as other possible issues. Enterprise Management Content systems incorporate some features like records and document management, auditing capacities, content taxonomies, check-in or check-out and other security devices and workflow controls.
All this is done when integrating to other software which you utilize so your employees have a seamless framework and a united workflow. With digital images and also your documents which need physical storage, you are not just capable of managing your archive in one system, but also control the disposal of no-longer-required documents and records according to your retention plan.
There are some consistent objectives for applying ECM. Clients basically want ECM for helping:
- Eliminate organizational risks
- Drive better client service as well as maximize productivity
- Remove dependency on paper and simplify the business procedures.
Here we are going to tell you how ECM works in managing your content from capture to secure with high-end solutions.
ECM can be classified into 5 essential elements called capture, store, retrieve, automate, and secure. The purpose of every element can be briefly defined as follows:
Capture your essential data and documents into a secure system. Every file type, from every location, classified automatically.
Some strategies for capturing documents include:
- Utilizing electronic forms for making the documents digital
- Scanning all paper documents for being filed in a digital repository
- Managing the content which is already digital, such as video, photos, PDFs, and Microsoft Office documents
- Filing and categorizing documents automatically from MFPs, servers, and other shared locations
With unique ECM frameworks, companies now can simply preserve any kind of business document in a digital repository, which allows users for:
- Viewing document metadata
- Viewing or making edits to every document in the repository
- Arrange documents properly in a flexible folder structure
ECM systems basically go above keeping records of the document location only. The Content Management System also eliminates the cost, time, and difficulties related to handling documents during the life cycle, helping make sure compliance with the record retention policies of the company.
After you stored the records of your company safely, you can simply:
- Identify particular phrases or words within metadata, document text, entry names and annotations
- Find every document utilizing full-text search
- Utilize the preset search options for searching by the names of the users who checked out metadata and documents and the date of document creation
ECM software helps reduce time spent in searching for data, allowing workers for answering info requests from customers, auditors, and citizens instantly. Even the employees have immediate access to the data needed for making better decisions regarding problems affecting the bottom line of your company.
This process helps companies reduce all manual jobs with the inclusion of photocopying, repetitive dragging and dropping, and hand delivery to accomplish better results with lesser resources. Well, some ECM frameworks feature digital automation, which can:
- Identify errors before any irrelevant task can be done
- Alert the employees when documents need their attention
- Route documents automatically to the relevant people at the correct time
For instance, records should be archived, purchase orders should be signed, and worker vacation requests should be either rejected or approved. Automation process moves all these documents through the important steps of measure and approval, in the order particularized. The final result is procedures which are more error-free, streamlined, and affordable.
With enhancing compliance limitations in a large range of companies, industries are rapidly utilizing ECM frameworks for optimizing record management tasks and protecting against risk as well. An ECM system should offer customizable security setting for enabling companies for safeguarding data from unauthorized access.
- Monitor document creation and destruction, system login and logout, changing password, and so forth
- Restrict access to documents, folders, annotations, fields, and other required document properties
- Shield sensitive metadata by controlling data access down to every field, template, and folder
Top-notch ECM solutions allow order of business departments for handling user access freely, which implies sensitive HR data stays inside the HR department only, whereas private financial data stays inside the financial department, even if the data is preserved in the similar repository.
All ECM platforms incorporate these 5 basic elements and offer a complete ECM solution in order to help your company enhance the business processes. If you want to learn more about Somnetics ECM solution, you can schedule a demo today. We will be happy to help you!